The manor was built in 1865 by Gustaf Trolle Bonde from drawings made by architect J.F. Åbom. The 2 wings stem from the 18th century. During the 2nd World War, Märta Hamilton granted the Norwegian government access to Kjesäter as a transit camp for Norwegian refugees. Some 42 000 Norwegians passed through Kjesäter in their escape from the German occupation.
Since 1981, Kjesäter is owned by Johan Hamilton who together with his wife Anne run the farmland, forestry, property management and hunting.